Angelhouser | A Journal By Angelica Bautista Viloria

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pacquiao for Congressman?

Looks like it's true that Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao, the Pambansang Kamao, has finally decided to throw his gloves into the political ring. News reports have it that Manny Pacquiao will be running for Congress in the first district of South Cotabato against Darlene Antonino Custodio.

Will he win? I hope not. He may have our support in all his boxing matches but in this fight, I think the Philippine nation will be divided. All offense meant -- What does Manny Pacquiao know about legislation? I know it's a stupid question just looking at some people we have in Congress (and even in the Senate) but don't we want to move away from politics which is just anchored on popularity and name recall?

I don't know about Manny but I guess he can't see through the motives of people who have been egging him to run. I am sure they will just use him for their own political or economic ambitions. Am sure Darlene Custodio is likewise a target of the administration as she has been very vocal about her support for the impeachment of GMA.

Oh well, Manny Pacquiao is free to make his own choices just as the Filipino voter is also free to make his or her own choice. To Manny, you don't need to be a politician to help people out. I think you make more people happy by sticking to the thing that you do best which is boxing. Then again, that's just my opinion.

No comments: